|Grid reference||ST 17792 79660|
|Common name||Lucombe oak|
|Height||16.5M July 2015|
|Girth||364cm July 2015|
This tree, with its slightly purplish bark, is on the lawn opposite College House. When the military camp was constructed during the 1939-45 war, huts were arranged around it as can be seen as a mature tree in both 1950 and 1952 aerial photographs.
General tree description
Quercus x hispanica 'Lucombeana' is a hybrid of the Turkey and Cork oaks (Q. cerris and Q. suber), in Britain mostly originating with one raised by William Lucombe in 1762 at his nursery at Exeter. It is a semi-evergreen, medium to large tree, up to 35 metres tall, with a wide rounded head of branches. Its bark is purple-grey, thick and fissured though not corky. The leaves are oval or ovate, irregularly lobed, dark and shiny above, grey-felted below, and often remaining on the tree through the winter. The acorns are 2 to 2.5 cm long and more than half enclosed in the cup.