Information Sources for Thompsons Park
- A.A. Pettigrew: The Public Parks and Recreation Grounds of Cardiff
An unpublished account of the history of Cardiff's parks in six volumes, available for reference in the
Cardiff Central Library
Local Studies department. As well as other references to Thompsons Park (Sir Davids Field) there is a dedicated section in volume 5, pages 51-68.
Nelmes: A Brief History of the Cardiff Parks(pdf)
Published in Transactions of the Cardiff Naturalists' Society volume LXXXVII
1957/58 pages 5 to 12, this is available via Welsh Journals Online
Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales - Coflein
Online database for the National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW),
the national collection of information about the historic environment of
Wales. The name is derived from the Welsh cof (memory) and lein (line).
- Western Mail newspaper articles
Contemporary reports and notices from the 1880s and 1890s, accessed via
the British Newspaper Archive or 19th Century British Library Newspapers
- Cardiff Council - minutes of meetings - available for consultation
at Glamorgan Archives.
Parks Superintendent's Report Book(pdf)
A handwritten book covering the period January 1908 to October 1912 inclusive, currently in the care of the Cardiff Council's Parks Service.
- 1938 Inventory of Parks Buildings and Equipment available in (pdf)
or html format
A handwritten book, prepared as an insurance inventory in April 1938. This
book is currently in the care of the Cardiff Council's Parks Service.
- Cardiff Parks : maps and plans of Cardiff Parks, microfilm, available for reference in the
Cardiff Central Library
Local Studies department.
- Welsh Government Central Register of Aerial Photography for Wales
Room G-073a, Welsh Government, Cathays Park, Cardiff CF10 3NQ
The Central Register indexes all aerial survey cover of Wales flown by the
RAF, Ordnance Survey and commercial aerial survey companies, and is a comprehensive
source about aerial photography of Wales advising all interested users.
The Welsh Government holds an extensive collection of aerial photographs covering
Wales from 1940 to present day at a variety of scales. Contact information:
Telephone: 029 2082 3819 / 3815 Fax: 029 2082 3080
- Cardiff the City of Flowers, cine film produced by City of Cardiff Parks Committee c.1960. Director of Parks W. Nelmes, M.B.E., Filmed by C. Fishwick, Narrator John Darran