Situated opposite Bute Park on the west bank of the River Taff, Sophia Gardens was Cardiff's first park for public use. It was created by the Bute Estate to compensate for the closure of the Castle Grounds, and takes its name from Sophia, Marchioness of Bute, who was instrumental in its creation and performed the official opening in 1858. It remained privately owned though open to the public until 1947, when the 5th Marquis of Bute made a gift to the City of Cardiff comprising Sophia Gardens, the Castle and Bute Park. Today Sophia Gardens is best known as the home of Glamorgan County Cricket Club and the Sport Wales National Centre. Together with Bute Park, Pontcanna Fields and Llandaff Fields, it is part of a large open space in the centre of the City devoted to recreation and sport.
Many of the postcards of Sophia Gardens show the fountain or the bandstand along with the broad north-south walk. As well as postcard images there is a section which explores the documented history of Sophia Gardens.