Pentre Gardens in the Grangetown district of Cardiff was given to the Council by the Marquis of Bute, the formal conveyance being completed on March 29th 1911. The Bute Estate levelled and fenced the space - some 2,500 square yards - and the Council undertook to plant it as a garden, and maintain it as such in the future.
In 1917 Pentre Gardens was converted for use as an allotment, as were a number of other parks and open spaces during the 1914-18 war. It was not released until 1921, after which it was ornamentally laid out as a closed garden.
During the 1939-45 war Pentre Gardens served as a barrage balloon depot. After the war the residents complained of the condition of the Gardens and requested that railings be replaced. The Council claimed £271 from the Air Ministry for restoration of the Gardens to their original state.
Sources of Information