Merches Gardens (also known as Taff's Mead) is in the Grangetown district of Cardiff and was formed from three small adjoining plots of land, enclosed by fences, given to the Council by the Marquis of Bute. The conveyance was completed on the 12th December 1912 and also included Mardy Gardens. In October 1913 the Parks Committee approved expenditure on trees to be planted in "Taff Mead Gardens".
In 1917 Merches Gardens was converted for use as an allotment, as were a number of other parks and open spaces during the 1914-18 war. In 1921 it was agreed that it should be restored to its former use as pleasure gardens.
In 1941 Merches Gardens was included in a list of open spaces to have their railings removed for the war effort.
Sources of Information