Llwynfedw Gardens in the Birchgrove area of Cardiff was privately owned until 1941, when Mountjoy Ltd (the Bute Estate) offered it and several other open spaces to the Council as a gift, provided that the open spaces were preserved in perpetuity. Prior to this some Birchgrove residents had petitioned the Parks Committee asking for a bowling green to be provided at Llwynfedw Gardens, and the Chief Parks Officer had responded that the land in question was privately owned.
In the 1939-45 war Llwynfedw Gardens was used for allotments. In September 1946 the Parks Committee agreed that notices be served on allotment holders to leave by 6th April 1947 so that construction of a bowling green and tennis courts could proceed.
Ordnance Survey maps indicate that the Llwynfedw Gardens bowling green and tennis court were built in the early 1950s. In May 1952 the Parks Committee accepted a quotation for the supply of turf for the bowling green.
In 2013 the Council proposed that several bowling greens be closed to save money, Llwynfedw Gardens among them. The others were Maindy, Trelai, Pentwyn, Grange Gardens and Howard Gardens, all of which have now (2016) closed.
The Llwynfedw green remains open (2016), after local residents formed a Friends of Llwynfedw Gardens group and took it over. In 2014 the Council introduced a charge for bowling clubs of £6,300 per year towards the upkeep of each green.
Sources of information