The Council acquired a part of Leckwith Woods comprising some 109 acres as a gift from Western Ground Rents Ltd, which had bought the urban estate of the Bute family in 1938. The gift was offered and accepted in 1940, though the transfer of ownership was not formally completed until April 1942. The deed included a covenant that the land be used as a playing field, park, recreation or pleasure ground only.
A plan for clearing and re-planting the ground was approved in February 1941 though subsequently part of the site was requisitioned by the military authorities.
|Left click a postcard image to enlarge it.|
|J.B. & E. Rolls, Warwick Library, Cardiff (postmarked 1904)|
|W.H.S. & S. Strand Series|
Sources of Information