The modern Heath Park is a small remnant of the Great Heath, which was a large expanse of common land north of Cardiff, extending out to Llanishen and Rhiwbina. In the eighteenth century there was a racecourse on the part of the Great Heath approximately where Heath Park Avenue now is. A.A. Pettigrew wrote that the exact date of its establishment was not known, "but it was there at least as early as the year 1784, when the Cardiff Corporation contributed the sum of £10-10-2 to the funds of the Races."
Early in the nineteenth century the Great Heath was enclosed. An Act of Parliament, the Heath Enclosure Act of 1802, came about because the Cardiff Corporation sought to raise revenue by the sale of common land. The Corporation retained part of the Great Heath, including the racecourse, but much of the land was acquired by freeholders, often wealthy individuals such as the Marquis of Bute. Subsequently three farms were created where originally there was rough pasture land: Heath Farm, Allensbank Farm and Ton-yr-Ywen Farm. Racing at the Heath came to an end in 1848 and the racecourse was sold to Wyndham Lewis, a member of another wealthy and influential family which was acquiring a substantial estate in the area.
The Lewis estate began the urban development of the Heath, starting with Allensbank Road and Whitchurch Road. Other landowners followed, such that by the middle of the twentieth century most of the area was built upon. The exception was the Lewis family mansion Heath House and its surrounding parkland. The Cardiff Council opened negotiations in the mid 1920s to acquire Heath House and its grounds for public recreation purposes though it was not until 1937 that the purchase took place. Part of the Heath Estate was allocated to the Parks Committee, and a proposed layout of the area to become a public open space was approved in September 1939.
Prior to the Council's acquisition of the Heath Estate, Heath House was let to Mr George Tucker, who ran a haulage business from the premises. The track leading to the house from Heathwood Road was known as Tucker's Drive. In 1932 the area on the western side of the park known as Ty Prosser was also occupied by George Tucker. This continued into the 1940s: although part of the park was requisitioned during the war for a military camp. The Council let Ty Prosser field to Mr Tucker, whose rent was reduced while the grazing of his sheep kept the ground in a suitable condition for use as a playing field. During war time there were horse shows and gymkhanas as well as "Holidays at Home" events held in the northerly fields. In June 1944 permission was granted for a local firm to use Ty Prosser field for a "field day and sports". In December 1944 the Parks Committee decided to arrange a horse show at Heath Park for Whitsun Week 1945, and it was agreed that similar arrangements be made in future years.
After the war, plans were again drawn up for the development of Heath Park as a recreational space. The Parks Committee approved a tentative layout costing £87,000, but it could not be implemented until the requisitioned land was released, which in the event was not until 1950. Meanwhile the former military camp was used for a teacher training college and for emergency housing (known as the squatters camp). In the early 1950s it was also decided to allocate approximately 53 acres of the Heath Estate to a new teaching hospital & medical school This loss of a substantial area of green space was not without controversy.
Nonetheless the playing fields were returned to recreational use and were designated as a King George's Field in 1952, guaranteeing that they would be preserved in perpetuity for outdoor sports, games and pastimes. In 1953 the Parks Committee approved plans for a bowling green, 6 tennis courts and public conveniences, though the proposed bowling green was later abandoned as too expensive.
The present day Heath Park has extensive playing fields and woodland walks, and a pond that was shown on Ordnance Survey maps going back to the 1880s. In the 1940s this was a picturesque lily pond frequented by cormorants and surrounded by lawns. It was fed from the house and was self levelling. On the 1940s Ordnance Survey map a footpath was shown to lead from the house and around the pond, but this was not shown on later maps. Maps between 1950 and 1980 show that the pond reduced in size by up to 30 percent.
The photograph above has a Maple tree in the foreground which probably still exists, and beyond that is the Nant-y-wedal stream. Beyond the stream is a pair of Oak trees which are still present. Today the banks of Nant-y-wedal have quite dense vegetation and this view from the far side of the stream is no longer available. In the distance is the Birch woodland, most of which was lost in the 1976 drought. In the woodland at the junction of paths was a small lavatory building with red roof tiles. Its red colouring is just visible in the magnified view to the right of the Maple. The footprint of the building still exists today, 2019, as an area of ground with no undergrowth and is at grid reference ST 17537 79878.
In 1970 a pitch and putt golf course was constructed. and in 1971 the University Hospital of Wales opened, having been built on the land on southern edge of the park allocated for the purpose in 1951.
In 1975 a sports centre was established in one of the wartime buildings vacated by the Cardiff Training College. In the same year another of the wartime buildings - on the north side of the access road between King George V Drive East and the former parade ground - was converted to offices for the Parks and Baths Department. (The original accommodation in Wedal Road was vacated and later became a Youth Hostel.) The converted accommodation was found to be unsuitable because it comprised many individual offices on split levels, and the building was generally in poor condition. In the early 1980s new offices were built on the opposite side of the access road and these were probably extended around 1987. On July 11th 2002 this building was lost in a fire and many important historic documents relating to the development of all Cardiff's parks were destroyed. Staff were displaced to rented offices at Alexandra Gate, in Tremorfa, for nearly two years whilst new offices were built on the same plot. In 2014 the Parks service vacated these offices and in 2015 they were occupied by Cardiff University.
In 1981 the Leisure and Amenities Committee approved the use by the National Vegetable Society of 600 square yards at the rear of the Leisure and Amenities Training Centre at Heath Park. This was to be free of charge as the organisers proposed open day weekends during the growing season and free admission to members of the public who would be given free advice.
The Cardiff Model Engineering Society moved to Heath Park in 1987 and established the Heath Park Miniature Railway and Tramway with two model railways and refreshment facilities for visitors.
In 2009 the Council renewed the 1952 dedication of the playing fields as a King George's Field but did not include the most northerly field, which had been intended in the 1950s for a new school. The Council then dedicated this too in 2010, such that the whole of Heath Park, except the model railway, car parks, office buildings and roads, was dedicated as a King George's Field.
The tennis courts were renovated in 2014/2015, which involved the removal of most of the conifers around the perimeter of the courts. The most northerly section of the pitch and putt golf course became a new woodland in late 2018, with the planting of a large number of small saplings representing a variety of tree species.
Sources of Information