The land now occupied by Fairwater Park appears on the 1880 Ordnance Survey map as fields with trees along their boundaries, and a stream running in a wooded valley at the north west (the present day Dell). On the 1900 map the trees have mostly been removed from the field boundaries. A pond is shown in 1920 towards the south east of the fields. This pond is seen on all subsequent maps, but from the 1950s with a changed shape and reduced in size. Upper House Farm can be seen south east of the wooded valley on OS maps for the 1940s and 1950s but not subsequently.
The 1960s map shows the park to consist of a single field on which new tree planting has taken place. A second pond is shown at the foot of the Dell. The ski centre is first shown on the 1980s OS map, at the south (Fairwater Road) end of the park.
Parks Committee minutes recorded that in April 1947 land was transferred by the Estates Committee to the Parks Committee for construction of an access road for entry to the new Fairwater Park.
In September 1956 it was reported that the land required for Fairwater Park would be surrendered by the tenant of Upper House Farm on the 2nd February 1957. The Parks Committee later agreed to allow the former tenant of Upper House Farm to use the land for one year from 2nd February 1957 for mowing and grazing purposes only.
In January 1969 the Parks Committee received a report that the artificial ski slope would be open to the public within the next two months. In April the Committee heard that the Lord Mayor had accepted an invitation to open the slope officially at 3pm on the 1st May 1969.
This short video clip is from a 16mm cine film entitled Cardiff the City of Flowers produced by Cardiff Parks Committee c.1960. (The audio on this video clip is a little distorted.) It is possible that the scene showing an area with seats at the end of this clip may not be of Fairwater Park.
Sources of information: