The decision to provide recreation and sports facilities at Ely followed the building of the housing estate there in the 1920s.
The area that became Ely Playing Fields was a plot of 15.25 acres on the Red House part of the housing estate. It was set aside for a sports field in 1928. By 1930 a separate space in excess of two acres elsewhere in Ely had been provided for a Football Ground. A.A. Pettigrew reported on the provision of football pitches in the Cardiff parks for the 1930-31 season and recorded one at Ely Football Ground.
The Parks Department Inventory of Parks Buildings and Equipment, compiled for insurance purposes in April 1938, included the following information for Ely Playing Fields:
Sources of information: