Parc Cefn Onn, originally named "Parc Cefn On", in Lisvane, north of Cardiff, is a country park created in the valley of the Nant Fawr stream, which eventually runs into Roath Park. There are no early postcards of Parc Cefn Onn, because it originated in private ownership and was not open to the public until acquired by the Council in 1944, well past the peak of postcard production.
The two minute video clip below describing Parc Cefn Onn is an excerpt from the cine film Cardiff City of Flowers, produced by the Cardiff Parks Department c.1960. (The audio on this video clip is rather distorted.) The clip shows the circular hut with its thatched roof, originally a changing room for the pool, and later a tool store. The commentary makes the point that the dense planting scheme had the effect of revealing the park a bit at a time. Today the park is considerably more open. In the film, the gentleman wearing the mayoral chain is Edward Ewert Pearce, who became Lord Mayor of Cardiff in 1961. The other gentleman is William Nelmes Senior, Director of Parks from 1936 to 1967. He was responsible for the acquisition of Parc Cefn Onn, as well as the design of the park and much of the exotic planting.
Sources of Information