The Bishops Palace or Castle in Llandaff, Cardiff, was the residence of the medieval clergy of Llandaff. It was shown on John Speed's plan of Llandaff published 1610, and is thought to have been dismantled later in the seventeenth century. The ruin is a grade 1 listed building.
In 1948 Cardiff Council entered negotiations with the church authorities to obtain the land adjoining Bishop's Palace. The church authorities were prepared to transfer the land to the Council for laying out as an ornamental small park.
Terms were agreed for the free conveyance to the Council in 1971. A sum of £16,500 was included in the financial estimates for 1971-72 to undertake structural repairs, provide a viewing platform and carry out landscaping work. The site was opened as a public garden in 1972. In that year it received a silver rose bowl award from the Wales in Bloom Committee as well as a Prince of Wales Award. There was a further award in 1975, a special commendation in the British Tourist Authorities Landscape Heritage Competition of that year.
Sources of Information