In June 1896 the Parks Committee agreed to place two drinking fountains in the Recreation Ground.
Two fountains were shown in the Recreation Ground on Ordnance Survey maps for the 1900s through to the 1920s. One was at the northerly end near Alder Road and was marked as a "drinking fountain" whilst the other was at the southerly end near Penylan Road and was marked as "fountain". This was the site of a drinking fountain presented to the Council in 1913 by the Samuel family. It was formally accepted by the Lord Mayor at a ceremony in the Recreation Ground on September 29th 1913.
By the 1940s both fountains had been removed, possibly contributed to the war effort after the Parks Committee decided in March 1943 that it would not object to the removal of canopies from fountains in the parks for that purpose. Later a drinking fountain was placed in the Pleasure Garden, near the tennis courts and bowling greens.
Sources of Information