In December 1882 the Council accepted an offer from Mr A Thomas, the ex-Mayor, to donate £200 "for the erection of two drinking fountains and troughs combined, the one at the front of the New Infirmary, and the other at the junction of Westgate-street and Cowbridge-road."
This work was not carried out until 1889. The South Wales Echo printed an illustration and reported in January of that year:-
"The employees of the corporation are now busy making the foundations for a fountain which will stand in Castle-street in front of the entrance to the Angel Hotel. Another similar erection has been placed within the past few days at the end of Castle-road, near the Infirmary. In each case the presence of these handsome, ornamental and useful embellishments will serve to add to the appearance of the neighbourhood, as they replace a simple gas lamp elevated from a pedestal of a few plain stone steps. The sketch given above represents the fountain which is in course of erection opposite the Angel Hotel. The fountain is about 15 feet in height, and has been cast in iron by Messrs McFarlane, of Glasgow. There are four drinking cups, and the streams of water fall into four large tanks. The fountain which has been placed near the Infirmary is, generally speaking, of the same style, differing only in small details.The fountains are the gift of Mr Alfred Thomas, M.P., and have cost about £100 each. Mr Thomas made the offer of these fountains to the town a considerable time since, and the delay that has intervened is due to the fact that the corporation committee charged with the task were unable at first to agree as to their location and style."
The 1900s Ordnance Survey map shows a drinking fountain on the north west side of the Infirmary, at the junction of Newport Road and Glossop Road. On the 1910s map it appears to have been removed, in favour of a tramline intersection. Between 1911 and 1923 the Infirmary was known as the King Edward VII Hospital.
Sources of Information
|Left click a postcard image to enlarge it.|
|Peacock "Autochrom" The Pictorial Statonery Co., Ltd. (postmarked 1906)|
|Pictorial Post Card (postmarked 1903)|
|Max Ettlinger & Co. Ltd., London E. C. and New York Cardiff Series 1118
Looking south-east towards the infirmary from Newport Road.
|The Grosvenor Series (postmarked 1917)|
This postcard has no postmark but has a George V penny stamp which suggests it was posted after June 3rd 1918.
|W. H. S. & S. Ldn.|