Thompson's Park's best known feature is 'Joyance', originally a bronze statue by Sir William Goscombe John, of a boy playing with a jet of water. This was commissioned by Charles Thompson and was installed in 1899 as the centre-piece of a small ornamental pond at the south end of the Park. Many of the early postcards of Thompson's Park show 'Joyance' and the fountain.
The pond's water supply came from the miniature lake but could also be topped up from the water main. Since 2012/13 it can only be filled from the mains water supply.
'Joyance' has been stolen from the pond on several occasions. In 1973 the stolen statue was replaced by a replica, created by copying a similar statue owned by the National Museum of Wales.
Sources of information